Mensur Suljovic Defeats Simon Whitlock In Danish Darts Open Final
The Big Gentle, aka Mensur Suljovic, claimed his first European Tour title of the season as he beat Simon ‘The Wizard’ Whitlock in the final of the Danish Darts Open in Copenhagen’s Brondbyhallen last Sunday.
This was the inaugural event in Denmark, where the Austrian and the Australian went head-to-head. Suljovic, currently the reigning Champions League of Darts champion, saw out an 8-3 win for his fifth career PDC event and second European Tour trophy.
For Whitlock, it was his first European Tour final in four years as he looks to improve his game ahead of the second half of the season. Unfortunately for The Wizard, his magic was as scarce as his luck, leaving Suljovic to average almost 100 across all three of his Sunday games including the final.
Earlier on in the weekend, Mensur had no problem getting past Ryan Joyce 6-1 in Saturday’s second round. He followed that victory by putting together a narrow 6-5 win over Darren Webster to reach the weekend’s final session where Peter Wright was waiting. Snakebite offered no threat and the Austrian ace fought his way to a 6-4 win before coming out on top in a 7-6 thriller against Adrian Lewis to make the final.
For Whitlock, this was his first European Tour title shot since 2012 and he got there by beating the in-form Dutchman Jermaine Wattimena 6-3, before holding off the challenge of Ricky Evans to win 6-5 and qualify for the quarterfinals. Once there, the Aussie saw off Mervyn King 6-4 before crashing Steve West out in a 7-4 score line to set up the final with Suljovic, which was both players their first ranking final of the year.
The PDC European Tour continues from Friday the 29th through to July 1, with the European Darts Matchplay in Hamburg, Germany. While coverage will be available online at PDCTV-HD, online bookmakers Betway are yet to produce a book on the event.
2018 tournament results so far
- PDC World Championship 2018 Final: Rob Cross 7-2 Phil Taylor
- The Masters (PDC Major) Final: Michael van Gerwen 11-9 Raymond van Barneveld
- Premier League Darts (PDC Major) Final: Michael van Gerwen 11-4 Michael Smith
- UK Open Finals (PDC Major) Final: Gary Anderson 11-7 Corey Cadby
- European Darts Open (European Tour) Final: Michael van Gerwen 8-7 Peter Wright
- German Darts Grand Prix (European Tour) Final: Michael van Gerwen 8-5 Peter Wright
- German Darts Open (European Tour) Final: Max Hopp 8-7 Michael Smith
- Austrian Darts Open (European Tour) Final: Jonny Clayton 8-5 Gerwyn Price
- European Darts Grand Prix (European Tour) Final: Michael van Gerwen 8-3 James Wade
- Dutch Darts Masters (European Tour) Final: Michael van Gerwen 8-5 Steve Lennon
- German Darts Masters (WSD Event) Final: Mensur Suljovic 8-2 Dimitri van den Bergh
- World Cup of Darts Final: Netherlands 3-1 Scotland